GENESIS OF THE TIGER TANK
In 1937 design work began at Henschel und Sohn, Kassel, Germany, for a tank that would eventually evolve into the Tiger tank. This was to be a 30-33 ton tank to replace the PzKpfw IV which was just entering service. By 1940 this was developed into the VK.3001(H) and as this tank was the true ancestor of the Tiger, it was known as the Tiger Cub. Within a couple of years the prototype VK.4501(H) was ordered into production with the service designation of PzKpfw VI Tiger ausf E, SdKfz 181. Total production of all Tiger Ausf E vehicles was 1,354 and these were delivered between July, 1942 and August, 1944. Of all World War 2 tanks, there are possibly only two that reached the level of public familiarity given to the likes of the Spitfire, Mustang, etc, and these were the American Sherman and the German Tiger.