Debut: February 2015



.: Jun Zhou's DKM Submarine Tender "Saar" and U201 Submarine


Samek & Hasegawa



Modelling Time:

~ hrs

PE/Resin Detail:



Kits # Samek S700/022 & Hasegawa 126

German submarine tender Saar

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saar and the submarines U-8, U-9, U-10 and U-11 in 1936
Saar and the submarines U-8U-9U-10 and U-11 in 1936.
Career (Nazi Germany)
Name: Saar
Namesake: Saar
Builder: GermaniawerftKiel
Laid down: 19 September 1933
Launched: 5 April 1934
Commissioned: 1 October 1934
Decommissioned: May 1945
Fate: Captured by USA, May 1945
Transferred to France, 1947
Career (France)
Name: Gustave Zédé (A641/Q481)
Commissioned: 17 January 1948
Decommissioned: 15 February 1971
Fate: Sunk by torpedo, 26 February 1976
General characteristics [1]
Type: Submarine tender
Displacement: 3,250 metric tons of loaded displacement
2,710 metric tons of standard displacement
Length: 100.5 m (329 ft 9 in) o/a
99.8 m (327 ft 5 in) w/l
Beam: 13.55 m (44 ft 5 in)
Draught: 4.63 m (15 ft 2 in)
Propulsion: 2 × Krupp 8-cylinder diesel engines
Speed: 18.3 knots (33.9 km/h; 21.1 mph)
Complement: 232

Saar was the first purpose-built submarine tender of the German Kriegsmarine, and served throughout World War II. She later served in the post-war French Navy as theGustave Zédé.

Construction and specifications

The ship was laid down on 19 September 1933 at the Friedrich Krupp Germaniawerft shipyard in Kiel and was launched on 5 April 1934. She was commissioned on 1 October 1934 and completed sea trials on 26 November.[2]

The ship was 100.5 m (329 ft 9 in) in length overall (99.8 m (327 ft 5 in) at the waterline), 13.55 m (44 ft 5 in) in the beam, and had a draught of 4.63 m (15 ft 2 in). She displaced 2,710 tonnes (standard) and 3,250 tonnes (fully loaded). Two Krupp 8-cylinder diesel engines gave Saar a top speed of 18.3 knots (33.9 km/h; 21.1 mph). The crew consisted of 232 men.[2]

The ship was originally armed with three 10.5 cm (4 in) SK C/24 guns and two single 2 cm Flak 30 anti-aircraft guns. In 1944, the three main guns were replaced by the newer10.5 cm SK C/32 guns and anti-aircraft armament replaced with two single 37 mm M42U and three 2 cm Flak 38.[2]

German service

After completion of sea trials and short-term use as a target ship, Saar was assigned to the U-Boot-Abwehrschule ("Submarine Defence School") in Kiel-Wik, where submarine officers were trained. In 1935 she became tender to the Weddigen Flotilla (later the 1st U-boat Flotilla), commanded by Fregattenkapitän Karl Dönitz, in Kiel. On 6 October 1937, she was transferred to the Saltzwedel Flotilla (2nd U-boat Flotilla) at Wilhelmshaven. From July 1940, the ship served in the Baltic with the 21st25th26th and 27th U-boat Flotillas in Pillau and Gotenhafen. Towards the end of the war she was used as an accommodation ship by FdU East.[2]

French service

At the end of the war in 1945 the ship was captured by United States forces in Bremen, and in 1947 it was given to France as war reparations. The ship was sailed by a German crew to Cherbourg, where on 17 January 1948 it was recommissioned as the Gustave Zédé (A641) of the French Navy. The main armament was retained, but the anti-aircraft guns were replaced by two single Bofors 40 mm guns and a quadruple Oerlikon 20 mm cannon. After sea trials, she received further modifications, and on 13 May 1949 arrived at her new home port of Toulon, where the Groupe d'Action Sous-Marine (GASM), the French submarine command, was based.[3]

Until 15 December 1970, the ship, affectionately nicknamed Tatave, was active in the Mediterranean as a submarine tender. She accompanied submarines in a large number of manoeuvres and training cruises, and also took part in the operations at Suez in 1956, transported relief supplies to Agadir after the 1960 earthquake, and took part in theevacuation of Bizerte in 1961.[3]

She was refitted at Marseille in 1951, receiving upgrades to her mast, armament (two additional 40 mm Bofors were fitted) and electronics, at Toulon in 1955 (armament, electronics), and at Sidi Abdallah/Menzel Bourguiba in 1958/59 (bridge, electronics).[3]

On 15 February 1971 the Gustave Zédé was transferred to the Fleet Reserve, and on 29 June 1971, was renumbered Q481. From 1972 to 1976 she was used as a target ship during the development of the MM38 Exocet anti-ship missile.[3]

On 26 February 1976, the ship was finally sunk by a torpedo from the submarine Doris, in the Mediterranean, south of Marseille, in position 42°30′N 5°24′ECoordinates42°30′N 5°24′E. The wreck lies at a depth of 2,150 metres (7,053 ft 10 in).[3]




German submarine U-201

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
U-123 und U-201 at Lorient, 8 June 1940
U-123 and U-201 departing Lorient on 8 June 1941
Career (Nazi Germany)
Name: U-201
Ordered: 23 September 1939
Builder: GermaniawerftKiel
Yard number: 630
Laid down: 20 January 1940
Launched: 7 December 1940
Commissioned: 25 January 1941
Fate: Sunk by depth charges from a British warship east ofNewfoundland, 17 February 1943
General characteristics
Class and type: Type VIIC submarine
Displacement: 769 tonnes (757 long tons) surfaced
871 t (857 long tons) submerged
Length: 67.1 m (220 ft 2 in) o/a
50.5 m (165 ft 8 in) pressure hull
Beam: 6.2 m (20 ft 4 in) o/a
4.7 m (15 ft 5 in) pressure hull
Height: 9.6 m (31 ft 6 in)
Draft: 4.74 m (15 ft 7 in)
Propulsion: 2 × supercharged Germaniawerft6-cylinder 4-stroke F46 diesel engines, totalling 2,800–3,200 bhp (2,100–2,400 kW). Maxrpm: 470-490
2 × AEG electric motors, totalling 750 shp (560 kW) and max rpm: 296.
Speed: 17.7 knots (32.8 km/h; 20.4 mph) surfaced
7.6 knots (14.1 km/h; 8.7 mph) submerged
Range: 8,500 nmi (15,700 km; 9,800 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph) surfaced
80 nmi (150 km; 92 mi) at 4 knots (7.4 km/h; 4.6 mph) submerged
Test depth: 230 m (750 ft)
Crush depth: 250–295 m (820–968 ft)
Complement: 44–52 officers and ratings
Service record
Part of: 1st U-boat Flotilla, Training
(25 January–1 April 1941)
1st U-boat Flotilla, Front Boat
(1 April 1941–17 February 1943)
Commanders: Kptlt. Adalbert SchneeKnight's Cross
(25 January 1941—24 August 1942)
Kptlt. Günther Rosenberg
(25 August 1942—17 February 1943)
Operations: Nine patrols
1st patrol:
22 April–18 May 1941
2nd patrol:
8 June–19 July 1941
3rd patrol:
14–25 August 1941
4th patrol:
14–30 September 1941
5th patrol:
29 October–9 December 1941
6th patrol:
24 March–21 May 1942
7th patrol:
27 June–26 October 1942
8th patrol:
6 September–26 October 1942
9th patrol:
3 January–17 February 1943
Victories: 22 commercial ships sunk (103,355 GRT)
two auxiliary warships sunk (5,700 GRT)
Two commercials ships damaged (13,386 GRT)

German submarine U-201 was a Type VIIC U-boat of the Kriegsmarine in World War II.

The submarine was laid down on 20 January 1940 by Friedrich Krupp Germaniawerft yard at Kielv as yard number 630, launched on 7 December 1940, and commissioned on 25 January 1941 under the command of Kapitänleutnant Adalbert Schnee. Attached to the 1st U-boat Flotilla, she made nine successful patrols in the North Atlantic, the last two under the command of Kptlt. Günther Rosenberg. She was a member of eight wolfpacks.

She was sunk on 17 February 1943 in the North Atlantic, by depth charges from a British warship. All 49 hands were lost.[2]

Operational career

1st patrol

U-201 departed Kiel for her first patrol on 22 April 1941. Her route took her across the North Sea, through the gap separating Iceland and the Faroe Islands and into the Atlantic Ocean. Her first 'kill' was Capulet which she sank on 2 May south of Iceland. The ship had already been torpedoed by U-552; her back was broken, she had caught fire and been abandoned.

Moving east of Greenland, she sank Greglia on 9 May and damaged Empire Cloud on the same day.

She was attacked over five hours by three escorts from Convoy OB-318. A total of 99 depth charges were dropped, severely damaging the boat, but she escaped. She docked at Lorient in occupied France on 18 May.

2nd patrol

The submarine's second foray passed without major incident: starting on 8 June 1942, finishing on 19 July but in Brest. (For the rest of her career she would be based in this French Atlantic port).

3rd patrol

U-201 '​s third sortie began from Brest on 14 August 1941. On the 19th in mid-Atlantic she took part in a wolfpack attack on Convoy OG 71. Firing one spread of four torpedoes she hit the cargo ship Ciscar and passenger liner Aguila, which was carrying the Convoy Commodore and 86 other Royal Navy personnel. Both ships sank, and Aguila '​s sinking killed 152 of the 168 people aboard, including all but one of the naval staff.

U-201 continued with the concerted attack on OG 71, sinking the Irish Clonlara on 22 August and British merchants Aldergrove and Stork northwest of Lisbon on the 23rd, before returning to Brest on the 25th.

4th patrol

Success continued to accompany U-201. Having departed Brest on 14 September 1941 she sank RunaLissa and Rhineland, all on 21 September.

She then sank Cervantes on 27 September. This ship had four survivors from Ciscar on board. She also accounted for HMS Springbank, a Fighter catapult ship about 430 nmi (800 km; 490 mi) west southwest of Cape Clear, southern Ireland on the same date. One torpedo was seen to pass between Springbank and Leadgate, but two others sealed the British vessel's fate.

The submarine's final victim on this patrol was Margareta, which went down southwest of Cape Clear.

U-201 returned to Brest on 30 September.

5th patrol

The gods of fate showed how fickle they could be on U-201 '​s fifth sortie; she failed to find any targets.


Click on each image for a closer look

Box art:

6th patrol

U-201 commenced her sixth and longest patrol on 24 March 1942. Having departed Brest and crossed the Atlantic, she damaged the Argentinian and neutral Victoria about 300 nmi (560 km) east of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina on 18 April. The crew, realizing that the ship, despite the torpedo strike, was not settling, decided to stay on board. The U-boat men only saw the neutrality markings after a second torpedo was fired and the submarine had surfaced. Victoria '​s complement then abandoned their vessel; U-201reported their mistake to the BdU (U-boat headquarters) who ordered them to clear the area, which they did.
USS Owl, an American minesweeper towing the barge YOG-38, picked-up Victoria '​s distress signals and sent a boarding party across to the tanker to effect repairs. The ship reached New York on 21 April and after much legal wrangling, was repaired and requisitioned by the US government and returned to service in July. She survived the war.

Three more ships went to the bottom on this patrol - Bris on 21 April, San Jacinto and Derryheen, both on 22 April.

The boat returned to Brest on 21 May.

7th patrol

Patrol number seven was in tonnage terms, the boat's most successful. Departing Brest on 27 June 1942, she operated in the eastern north Atlantic, sinking the Blue Star LinerAvila Star 90 nmi (170 km; 100 mi) east of San Miguel in the Azores on 6 July. Casualties were increased when a torpedo exploded under a lifeboat that had just been lowered from the ship and the remaining lifeboats became separated, one spending 20 days at sea before being rescued and another being lost without trace.[4]

Another victim, Cortuna, was sunk about 383 nmi (709 km; 441 mi) west of Madeira on 12 July after U-116 had already hit her. The Siris went down on the same day after a torpedo and 100 rounds from the deck gun.

Three more ships met watery ends before the submarine returned to Brest on 26 October.

8th patrol

So it went on; this time in the waters off South America. Another three ships met their end. One, John Carter Rose was sunk about 620 nmi (1,150 km; 710 mi) east of Trinidadonly after a chase lasting 32 hours, 290 nmi (540 km; 330 mi) and seven torpedoes on 8 October 1942. Also involved was U-202.

Another, Flensburg, went down the following day about 500 nmi (930 km; 580 mi) from Suriname. The 48 survivors were spotted by a Yugoslavian merchant ship, but when they learned of the prospect of an unescorted Atlantic crossing to Durban, opted to remain in their lifeboats until they reached the mouth of the River Marowijine.

9th patrol and loss

The boat left Brest for the last time on 3 January 1943 and headed for the eastern coast of Canada. She was sunk in position 50°50′N 40°50′WCoordinates50°50′N 40°50′W by depth charges from the British destroyer HMS Viscount east of Newfoundland.

49 men died; there were no survivors.

Please go to Wikipedia, if you want any further information

Thanks Wikipedia!

Web site contents Copyright Eastern Suburbs Scale Modelling Club 2015, All rights reserved.